As a process of modernizing mainframe, it is now supporting Java. Like Cobol we can now integrate Java in Batch process.
Simple diagram from IBM can explain how Java works:
To run Java on mainframe we need Batch launcher utilities:
- The BPXBATCH or BPXBATSL utility
- IBM JZOS Batch Toolkit for z/OS (JZOS)
The next modernization is the he data transfer between these job steps (Cobol and Java )can be realized by storing data in temporary data sets or in UNIX System Services files.
Tools for Java Developers to work on ZOs:
For Java developers that have never worked on z/OS, the OMVS Shell and the ISHELL might be difficult to handle. To solve this issue, the z/OS UNIX System Services environment can be enriched with some tools that are very common in the Linux and UNIX space, such as:
- Unix-Why OMVS on Mainframe? (srinimf.com)
- Mainframe-How to Modernize Batch Process (2of 3) ? (srinimf.com)
- Modernizing Apps On IBM zEnterprise (drdobbs.com)