DB2: 15 DBA Responsibilities
Highest paid resource is DB2 DBA. The question is, how will you grab it?
Summarized need focus in these areas:
- DBA knowledge
- Realtime experience
- Certification in DB2 DBA
The main DB2 DBA responsibilities are:
- Responsible for DB/2 products in production and test environments.
- TMON monitoring tool, and the Platinum tools (RC Query, RC Migrator, Plan Analyzer, and Database Analyz er).
- Monitors DB/2 production servers for any problems.
- Apply upgrades to DB/2 in test and production.
- Installs and maintains software used for supporting and monitoring DB/2.
- Assists all development work on DB/2. Help in application development, designing and creating database objects, migrating from test to production, and implementing batch schedules with the appropriate DB2 utilities.
- Reviews for technical accuracy. This includes the enforcement of all modeling and naming standards.
- Do all structural changes to DB/2 databases.
- Works with RACF team to ensure that proper security is in place for DB/2 data.
- Good knowledge in MVS, ISPF, JCL and CICS.
- Documenting vision for DB/2
- Share info to developers and operators on all components of DB/2 that are of interest through the Web, Infoshares etc
- Correct potential problems in DB/2 environment. This includes nightly support for the batch environment.
- Server admin activities DB/2 resides: monitor disk space and the DB2 log, backups, protect the integrity of the data.
- Provide help for all interfaces for DB2. These include Rochade, FOCUS, AMS Core software, and the gateway.
- Keep abreast developments in the DB2 world through journals, web, IBM Manuals, Blogs etc
The highest paid Admin is DB2 DBA, compared to other DBAs in the world.
Certification will give much fetching to become a DBA:
- You need to work at least 2 years as DBA before you get a certificate
- Two kinds of tests you need to take to qualify as DBA
- You should know Cobol/Java/C++
- Capability to resolve complex problems
Go through here to become a Certified DB2 DBA.
I will give tutorials/materials to grab this opportunity in my next posts.
- DB2 11 for ZO/S new features (srinimf.com)
- DB2- V10.5 SQL Enhancements (srinimf.com)
- Inside the mainframe architecture of IBM Netezza, DB2 BLU Acceleration (searchdatacenter.techtarget.com)
- ITNM Best Practices using the DB2 database (ibm.com)