This is the time to focus all developers to stay high on technical skills. Especially many have got a procrastination on further Cobol learnings.
Feeling is I already done. But, in reality many changes are taking place everyday.
Yes, why I am focussing is, people who continually working in the same project, this is clearly visible that – less focus on program optimization.
These stuff we always need to consider:
- Compiler option OPTIMIZE=STD or FULL will take less run time for your object program
- If DB2/IMSDB is using in your program then always use OPTIMIZE=FULL, else STD is enough. Default is NOOPT
- Always use top-down approach in program construction
- Remove all unused variables in your program
- Use perform statements wherever needed
- Use Arrays, so that we can avoid many variables
- Use effectively REDEFINES
- Use INDEXED BY
- Use EVALUATE instead of IF-ELSE-END-IF, when more conditions involved
- Last but not least, these five ways we always need to consider, while writing a Cobol program.
- Runtime Efficiency
- Module Size Efficiency
- Compile Efficiency
- Input/Output Efficiency
- Maintenance Efficiency