We work most of the time for American projects. Their culture is a little different. They follow a unique style in different scenarios like greetings, making friendships, dating, and personal hygiene.
- Say How do you do, Good morning, Good evening, Good after noon. People say Hi or Hello
- Men usually Shake hands when they meet. Women it is optional. While leaving they say Good-bye, or Bye. Other words Have a nice day, See u later, nice to see you.
- Close friends or family friends Kiss each other or hug each other.
- Persons in authority they add Mr or Ms. Example, Mr.president, Ms.First lady.
- Women prefer Mizz instead of Mrs. This is neutral
- We can call with first name for colleagues and younger ones
- We can call using nick names
- Americans friendship is short term
- Usually they ask How are you?, How are you doing?. The answer is fine, thank you. How are you?
- They communicate with touching behind shoulder or by hug
- Opposite sex live together without any romantic relationship
- Americans like welcoming people into their homes for hospitality
- They have less patience. So time management is important.
- They do not accept silence during conversation. They like to talk about weather, sports
- They are polite. At the end of conversation, say let us meet for coffee, let us get together sometime. But without Time and Venue it is not confirmed
- If we visit late 10 or 20 mins, they do not like it.
- Before visiting for a party we need to ask if it is formal, semi formal, or causal. So dress code is important
- Formal visit gift is must…flowers, wine, chocos. Friends visit, it is optional
- After party, we need to send Thank you note
- Men and women are both equal in American society.
- Men or Women anyone can ask permission for dating
- Men or Women anyone can pay money for dating expenses
- If a girl talking to you closely, that does not mean that she loves you
- Americans expect clean, make up. They expect cleanliness. They accept light deodorants
- Neat shaving etc
Common mistakes Indians make:
- Failure to understand time management
- Lack of documentation, everything keeping in the head
- Lack of email etiquette
- Not communicating in precise manner
- Not addressing people by first name
- Shaking of head gives lot of confusion
- Talking in regional language, when client is in the meeting