First step, we need to do while making a decision moving from IMSDB to RDBMS is:
Cost benefit Analysis.
- As from the proven things RDBMS takes more CPU than IMSDB.
- The reason to take more CPU is, in RDBMS the concept of Query optimization takes more CPU compared to IMSDB, which construct access path.
3 Top Reasons for Migration
- Cost: The annual cost of licenses and maintenance is very high.
- Resources: It is very difficult to find trained IMS DBAs and IMS DC programmers.
- Agility: In today’s marketplace, businesses must have the ability to rapidly change their IT systems, and therefore modern technologies are needed to provide the necessary agility.
Tools available for migration in the market
- BluePhoenix: Migration to DB2, SQL Server, or Oracle
- H2R: Hierarchical to Relational. Move from IMS/DB (DL/I)
Keep reading. In my next posts I will add more points in this space.