Designing a COBOL program is a skill, if we write it effectively it reduces CPU time. The following COBOL feature are not allowed in CICS program.
- ACCEPT – There is no question of accepting data from screen. So we can not use it
- DISPLAY – This is also not allowed in CICS program
- I/O Statements- OPEN, CLOSE,READ, WRITE, REWRITE,DELETE START – not allowed in CICS programs
- ACCEPT Date/Time/Day/Day-of-week- not allowed in CICS programs
- Merge – We cannot give in COBOL program
- STOP RUN – not allowed in COBOL-CICS program
CICS program before it is used for execution, we need to make sure that:
- PCT – Transaction name and its corresponding Program name must be defined
- PPT- All the Program definitions must be done in this table
Read further how to make entries in PPT and PCT here.