11) How do I find out which base cluster does an alternate index file belong to?
A. Display information in file aid for the ‘.PATH’ file which will show the base cluster as well as corresponding alt index file.
12) If I am using 3.4 and try to create a new member in an empty PDS, I can’t ?
A. Use option 2 and the new member name.
13) I got a B37 abend when tried to save the file.
A. Your PDS is out of space. Start another session open this PDS in 3.4 and put a ‘z’ next to it. It will compress the PDS. All x37 abends are ‘out of space’ situations.
14) I got an error message ‘NO SPACE IN DIRECTORY’ while creating a member in PDS.
A. Your PDS can no longer accommodate more members in it. You need to increase the ‘Directory blocks’. Each directory block can hold at least 4 members.
15) I want to copy only the first 500 records of my file.
A. Use file-aid or dataexpert and give the number of records in the option.
16) The dataset I want is migrated, but I don’t want my screen to be frozen when I recall it.
A. Type HRECALL next to the dataset name in 3.4
17) I want to send a message to another person logged on to TSO
A. Say ‘ TSO SEND ‘message line’ U(user_id)’. If the person in not logged on but you want to send a message which he can read when he logs on say ‘ TSO SEND ‘message line’ U(user_id) LOGON’
18) I want to see the LIMIT of a GDG.
A. Use LISTCAT in TSO or File-Aid option 3.2
19) I want to know the % free and other statistics of my dataset.
A. If you press ‘right or PF11’ on your 3.4 listing you can see the dataset statistics or use option 3.1 and I
20) I keep using certain commands that I want to save.
A. The commands you use regularly can be saved as a function key. E.g. – if you often change a JCL, save it, submit it and then go to the job spool. You could save a PF key as ‘save; sub; =IOF’ . To do this type ‘KEYS’ on ‘command line’ and make the necessary entries.