The following are the list compilation errors occurred during compilation of COBOL programs:
- Misspelling the name of a DIVISION. In Micro Focus Personal COBOL, misspelling IDENTIFICATION DIVISION produces an error of PROCEDURE DIVISION MISSING.
- This is a devil to locate because everything around PROCEDURE DIVISION might look good. You have to go all the way back to the top of the program to locate the error.
- Misspelling the name of a required SECTION.
- Misspelling the name of any required PARAGRAPH.
- Starting a DIVISION, SECTION, or PARAGRAPH outside of Area A. Area A is columns 8-11.
- Leaving a period off the end of a DIVISION, SECTION, or PARAGRAPH.
- Adding an unnecessary hyphen to a DIVISION or SECTION name. For example,IDENTIFICATION-DIVISION or WORKING-STORAGE-SECTION is wrong.
- Wrong length calculation in reference modification