Here are the list compilation errors occurred during compilation of COBOL programs . These are useful for your projects.
COBOL Compilation Errors Root Causes
- Misspelling the name of a DIVISION. Misspelling IDENTIFICATION DIVISION produces an error of PROCEDURE DIVISION MISSING.
- This is a devil to locate because everything around PROCEDURE DIVISION might look good. You have to go all the way back to the top of the program to locate the error.
- Misspelling the name of a required SECTION.
- Misspelling the name of any required PARAGRAPH.
- Periods in between IF and END_IF statements
- Starting a DIVISION, SECTION, or PARAGRAPH outside of Area A. Area A is columns 8-11.
- Leaving a period off the end of a DIVISION, SECTION, or PARAGRAPH.
- Instead of ‘-‘ hyphen in section name, you used ‘_’ underscore.
- Adding an unnecessary hyphen to a DIVISION or SECTION name. For example, IDENTIFICATION-DIVISION or WORKING-STORAGE-SECTION is wrong.
- Wrong length calculation in reference modification