DL/I – Often it is called as full function database. It is like general database access manager. All the general purpose projects these kinds of databases will be used.
DEDB – Often it is called data entry database. These kind of of databases will be used in Banking industry. And credit and Debit card processing projects. The implementation of DEDB is different from DL/I.
Below are the scenarios where DEDB will be used:
- Large databases containing millions of records, extending well beyond the original 4GB database limits of DL/1 databases
- Access to each database record that can be achieved by access via a key field
- Lower processing costs per database record and per update than are requiredfor DL/1 databases
- The capability to support higher transaction workloads than DL/1 can sustain, while maintaining the per-transaction cost advantages mentioned above
- Improved availability, with reduced requirements for database outage, especially for database maintenance activities such as database reorganizations
- Lower processing costs for particular types of processing, where data are inserted online and retrieved in batches for further processing, and eventually deleted in batches
- The possibility of eliminating transaction-related I/O from database processing.