In mainframe JCL, the Key word related to dataset is MGMTCLAS. This class is usually defined by system storage administrator.
What are the key facts behind storage class:
- Migration of the data set, including migration from primary storage to DFSMShsm-owned storage to archival storage
- Backup of the data set, including frequency of backup, number of versions, and retention criteria for backup versions
- Automatic deletion of data sets
- Automatic release of unused space in data sets
- All the above functions are performed by Hierarchical Storage Manager (DFSMShsm).
Interview Questions on MGMTCLAS
- If SMS is not installed or is not active, the system syntax checks and then ignores the MGMTCLAS parameter.
- SMS ignores the MGMTCLAS parameter if you specify it for an existing data set.
- The use of a management class can be protected by RACF®.