What is command code in IMS DB? Its benefits?
- Command codes in a SSA makes the call powerful since DL/I treats such SSA’S differently from those without the command codes while performing some special functions.
- Command codes save programming and processing time
- Command codes are specified in an SSA following the segment name and an Asterisk ‘*’
- An Asterisk ‘*’ in the ninth position in a SSA indicates that one or more command codes follow the asterisk
- A Blank or Left Parenthesis marks the end of command codes
- ONE or MORE command codes can be used in any combination
- Ten command codes are available under IMS
- F – Locate First Occurrence
- L – Locate Last Occurrence
- D – Retrieve this segment data into the I-O Area (Path Call)
- N – Do not replace this segment
- C – Concatenated key in this SSA
- Q – Enqueue this segment
- U – Maintain current position at this level
- V – Maintain current position at this and higher level
- P – Establish Parentage at this level
- – – Null command code
What is Processing Option? (Proc Option in IMSDB)
Example of PROCOPT
PCB TYPE=DB, DBDNAME=HOSPHIST, PROCOPT=A, KEYLEN= SENSEG NAME=HOSPITAL, PARENT=0 SENSEG NAME=WARD, PARENT=HOSPITAL SENSEG NAME=PATIENT, PARENT=WARD SENSEG NAME=PBILL, PARENT=PATIENT PSBGEN LANG=COBOL, PSBNAME=LOGICPSB END
Proc options are the ones whose main function is Data integrity in IMS DB database.
Click here for List of Available Proc Options in IMS DB.