JCL code can continue in the below line if it is not fit in the same line. These are my ideas on how to do it correctly.
1.JCL rules to continue in the next line
- First, break the parameter field after the comma that follows a parameter or sub-parameter (don’t forget to code the final comma at the end of the continued line).
- Second, code slashes in columns 1 and 2 of the following line.
- third, code the next parameter or sub-parameter beginning anywhere in columns 4 through 16 (be careful not to start beyond column 16).
- You must always leave column 3 blank on a continuation line or the system will interpret it as a new statement and issue an error when you submit the job for processing.
- If you look at the two examples of coding continuation lines, you’ll see that both use the same DD statement.
- But the first one is coded with as many parameters as possible on the first line, while in the second example, there are only one or two parameters per line.
- If you compare the statements, you’ll see that the second example presents a more organized and readable approach to coding JCL. It also makes the JCL easier to edit if you have to change or add parameters later on.
2. How to continue JCL Parameters to Continue to Next Line
1. Write Each Parameter in Separate Line
//DUNNING DD DSNAME=MM01.DUNNING.FILE, // DISP=(NEW,KEEP), // UNIT=SYSDA, // VOL=SER=MPS800, // SPACE=(CYL,(1,1)), // DCB=(DSORG=PS,RECFM=FB,LRECL=400)
2. Write Two Parameters in Single Line
//DUNNING DD DSNAME=MM01.DUNNING.FILE,DISP=(NEW,KEEP), // UNIT=SYSDA,VOL=SER=MPS800, // SPACE=(CYL,(1,1)), // DCB=(DSORG=PS,RECFM=FB,LRECL=400)
JCL continuation in SYSIN.
This kind of continuation also called JCL DD continuation or In-stream continuation. You can continue in SYSIN by using keyword
//SYSIN DD *
JCL continuation in STEPS.
You should not code apostrophe ”’ in column 71. Else, even though you have continuation it ignores. You can follow these tips to PARM parameter continuation.
JCL statements cannot be continued.
Positional parameters you cannot continued to next line.