Here are guidelines to become a Cyber security engineer. A certificate in Cyber security helps you get a lot of concepts. According to Dice.com there is huge demand for cyber security engineers across the world.
Make Sure You Have These Six Skills
- Foundation skills on risk and security
- Security Analyst skills – who analyses company networks for any flaws
- Incident responder skills – who will respond when any security incident happens
- Penetration testing skills – who analyses the company networks and find possible flaws
- Security architect skills
- Secure software development skills
A myth on Cyber security engineers
- security positions are not entry-level positions, and if you treat them as such, you will have terrible security. The best security practitioners have experience in the technology and processes that they are supposed to secure.
- If you are not an experienced developer, you do not have the standing to tell people how to secure the code they write.
- If you have no experience as a system administrator, you cannot maintain the security of a system. If you have no experience as an administrator, you cannot secure a database.
- If you have no experience in designing a network, you cannot competently design a secure network.
Certificates worth to Consider
- Certified Information Systems Security Professional (CISSP)
- information security governance
- Payment Card Industry Data Security Standard (PCIDSS)
- information risk management
- ISO/IEC 27001
- Sarbanes-Oxley (for organisations listed on the New York Stock Exchange)
- Basel III (banking sector)
- Control Objectives for Information and Related Technologies (COBIT 5)
- Certificate of Cloud Security Knowledge(CCSK)
- governance, risk and compliance
- information security audit
- business continuity
- NCSC Certified Practitioner (CCP) Scheme
- Systems Security Certified Practitioner (SSCP)
- Certified Cloud Security Professional (CCSP)
- information assurance (IA)
Best Training Institutes with Universities
- Edinburgh Napier University: MSc in Advanced Security and Digital Forensics;
- Lancaster University: MSc in Cyber Security;
- University of Oxford: MSc in Software and Systems Security;
- Royal Holloway: MSc in Information Security;
- University of York: MSc in Cyber Security;
- Cranfield University: Cyber Defence and Information Assurance MSc/PgCert/PgDip;
- University of Birmingham: MSc in Cyber Security;
- University of Southampton: MSc Cyber Security;
- University of Surrey: MSc in Information Security;
- University of Warwick: MSc in Cyber Security and Management.
Various job roles in Cyber security jobs