To create an indexed file you need a Key. To create a Sorted file, you need to order the records. The typical differences between these two files are Order and Key.
Here are SQL queries to use the SUBSTRING function along with LOCATE function. LOCATE gives position, and SUBSTRING uses that for the start position.
Here are the basic technical questions you need to face during your Python interviews.
In Python, both tell and seek functions help you get the data from a file. How to use these explained on how to use in your current project.
Indexed file Vs Sorted file
- Indexed files use a primary key field to identify the records of an original file in a database. A primary key field is a unique field. An indexed file consists of actual records sorted based on the primary key field value
- An indexed file also consists of alternate keys, which build the alternate index. Unlike primary keys, the alternate keys in an indexed file do not have actual records.
- The advantage of primary key field values is that because of the indexing of actual records, you require only one input-output operation to access records in an indexed file
- Sorting is like placing records either in ascending or descending order based on KEY
- For example, sorting payroll-file with an employee identification number in ascending order is called Soring. Here, employee identification is KEY.
- Sorting is possible to do on multiple keys like ID and Department
- When you sort a sequential file, its records are stored on the hard disk and you can only access them serially. It is not possible to access all the records of a file simultaneously.