DevOps is a new approach to speed-up the process between development and deployment. New integration tools help to deploy your build quickly into production. Explains critical roles for developers and responsibilities for your quick reference.
DevOps developers roles and responsibilities
1). Why DevOps You Need?
- A) The DevOps is a layer between Development and Operations. To reduce cycle time between development and operations you need DevOps.
2) What is Operations team?
- A) The operations team includes DBA, Release management and Production support.
3) What is Development team?
- A) Development team responsibility is to develop and test the code according to requirements given by clients
Two Kinds of developers:
- Application Developers
- DevOps Developers
Developers who are working on client business requirements called as application developers .
Deploy development code into production using DevOps tools called as DevOps developer
Role of Application Developers
- Developers role is to write quality code.
- Divide long code into small pieces
- No hard coding variables in the programs
- Avoid repeated code. Keep all the repeated code into some other sub-module.
- Add comments clearly before each section or class. New developers can understand easily.
- Readability and formatting is a major factors
- Code needs to be tested in development process
- Peer reviews and Architect reviews need to happen. Certain amount of time effort is required to do reviews for Code and Testing results.
Role of DevOps Developers
- Must be efficient to use integration tool
- Tools usually have monitoring functions for all phases of Software Life Cycle. The developers should know how to use all these functions
- Deployment and promoting to next level all these functions already present in DevOps Tools. Each developer should learn these functionalities.
- Must have clear idea on integrating concepts such as web services, deploying into different servers, if require, moving to Cloud. In modern DevOps tools all these features are available.
- Developers to be successful in DevOps career must have complete idea on points 1 to 4 and should have ability to use correctly.
Advantages of DevOps
- Reduce Cycle time between development and operations
- Quick implementation for all last-minute changes
- Fast deployments – so that new features you can make available to end users quickly. You can beat competition in the market.
- Team collaboration improves. For example, in DevOps methodology both Application team and DevOps team should work together to achieve common DevOps goals.