The catalog tables in DB2 also called System tables. You no need to create these tables. These will be created automatically when an administrator creates a database.
Information You Can Read from Catalog Tables
- Security information
- Tables update information
Related: Top DB2 Interview Questions
Types of Catalog Tables Schemas
The tables under SYSIBM schema are master tables. The tables under SYSCAT are views of SYSIBM.
Catalog Table Interview Questions
1). Which is the schema used for user-defined functions?
2). Which is the schema used for stored procedures?
3). The views created under SYSSTAT are user editable?
Yes. These are editable.
4) Which command you need to use to know tables defined under a schema?
Ans) LIST TABLES FOR SCHEMA schema-name
Database Object vs SYSCAT Views
|Database Object||SYSCAT System Catalog View|
|Partition group definitions||NODEGROUPDEF|
|XML values index||INDEXXMLPATTERNS|
- 3 SQL tuning ideas on Table Columns to apply
- DB2 derived Table key knowledge Points you need to learn
- DB2 DATE example SQL Queries to your project
Top DB2 Blogs
The Bottom Line
- Catalog tables you can read.
- During performance management, the data is very much useful
- Security catalog tables useful to know who did data change in a particular table.