In this post, I have explained why queues and processes required to carry communication between the two processes.
What is a Process in Any Operating System
It is clear that ‘a small program’ you can tell as ‘process’. So, an operating system is a mix of small programs.
Now you got what is process. Right?
The Queues Vs Process kind of communication is very common in Windows/Linux operating systems.
Top Methods that Help in the Communication
- pipe files
- virtual circuits
- shared virtual memory.
Queues are one kind of File. Internally, each process sends the messages to the Queue. These Queues will then ready by another process.
Requester and Process, both are interchangeable.
The process which sends a message or puts a message in the queue is called requester.
The process which receives a message from the Queue is called Server.
So queues are common and available to any process with in the system.
Queues Vs Process
- Queues are an intermediary file.
- Like files, you can control like Read or Write Access.
- The process is another program that consumes Queue data.
- During receiving a message, a Server makes message status to BUSY
- When a message read by a Server, the status of the message will become the same or normal.
- Message reading is exclusive for that process. Once the reading is over, the message then available to the other process to consume.
Queues and process are the top methods in inter-process communication.
You can find some of the commands on how to communicate with Queues and Server read here.