AWS Lambda offers an environment to execute Java, Node.js, C#, Python, and Go code. Your next step is to implement a function, upload your code, and configure the execution environment. Afterward, your code executes within a fully managed computing environment. What is special in AWS lambda? It is a tool available for all services.
1. Special features of Lambda
These special features ideally demonstrate all about lambda.
- AWS Lambda offers a maintenance-free and highly available computing environment.
- You no longer need to install security updates, replace failed virtual machines, or manage remote access (such as SSH or RDP) for administrators.
- On top of that, AWS Lambda is billed by invocation. Therefore, you don’t have to pay for idling resources that are waiting for work (for example, for a task triggered once a day).
2. Why is Lambda called Server less
Lambda is a default tool in AWS. Maintaining a server is not needed. So it is called server less.
- No need to manage and maintain virtual machines.
- Fully managed service offering scalability and high availability.
- Billed per request and by resource consumption.
- Invoke the function to execute your code in the cloud.
3. AWS Lambda Vs EC2 machine
Refresh your knowledge on lambda with these differences.
- Virtual machines provide a full operating system for running one or multiple applications. In contrast, AWS Lambda offers an execution environment for a single function, a small part of an application.
- Amazon EC2 offers VMs as a service, but you are responsible for operating them in a secure, scalable, and highly available way. By contrast, AWS Lambda offers a fully managed execution environment.
- AWS Lambda is billed per execution, and not per second a virtual machine is running.
4. What is Blueprint in AWS
Blueprints are sample code present in AWS for learning purposes. You can use that code for your first lambda function.
5. Steps to create Lambda function
- Visit Blueprints to get the sample code
- Search for Lambda==> Function==> Create function
- Fill basic details
- Create a new IAM role to write your Lambda function details to cloud watch
- Create a cloud watch event
- Map the rule name in Cloud watch is the same as Lambda function name
That’s it you can watch your lambda function work in Cloud watch. You can try this in AWS console-free account.