The demand for mainframe skills in the market is dwindling. At the same time Pay packages also not that much attractive compared to modern technical skills.
Why mainframe skills not only enough?
- The reason is Mainframe works still on legacy skills. But IBM is doing lot of research to bring mainframe to next level (let us see what happens next!)
What you need to learn next?
You are now experienced programmer in the mainframe environment. Switching to most modern technical skills demand some effort from you. Since, you need to work at low level. This is just a temporary situation (if you work few years on modern skills, then you will become a double side edge resource). Once you get hands-on, you can move into most modern skills area.
What skills are most suitable?
- Complete skills of Web development (HTML5, PHP, CSS, JAVA, .net etc)
- ETL development skills( Informatica, DB2, Oracle, Teradata, SQL, PLSQL with Hadoop skills, Netteza for IBM, Core JAVA)
- Analytics skills (VBScript, Excel, SAS, R)
- Data related skills (SQL, NoSQL, Digital Skills, Qlikview, Tableau )