It seems Mainframe Development jobs requirement has been slow down a little bit. There are many reasons. But,still production support and migration jobs are there.
One side IBM is adding newer technologies like Cloud,Big data,mobile into mainframes. You need to have now Plan-B.Since Plan-A is your present mainframe job.
- It is always better learning RDBMS. Apart from DB2, try learning Oracle, Java, PHP, SQL server
- Web development technologies. For instance .Net, Java, JSP, ASP, PHP etc
- Data warehousing tools and techniques
- Big data analytics with SAS
- Cloud computing especially about NoSql,Hbase,RDBMS etc
Check here IT Career Coach Link. Related articles
- Mobile Computing on Mainframe (1 of 2) (srinimf.com)
- What is SAAS (Software As A Service)? (workzone.com)
- A New Conversation around the IBM Mainframe (ibm.com)
- IBM eyes mobile, social workloads for mainframe platform (infoworld.com)