Data mining is the concept extracting relationships and patterns from the data of operational systems.
The main advantage is we can predict the relationship/Patterns.
This is fast growing technology. In the market many tools are available. Each has its own merits and demerits. Basically you need data warehousing knowledge to get further into mining:
Available Tools (source dataminingtools)
- Clementine from SPSS, leading visual rapid modeling environment for data mining. Now includes Clementine Server.
- Data Applied, offers a comprehensive suite of web-based data mining techniques, an XML web API, and rich data visualizations.
- IBM Intelligent Miner Data Mining Suite, now fully integrated into the IBM InfoSphere Warehouse software; includes Data and Text mining tools (based on UIMA).
- KXEN(Knowledge eXtraction ENgines), providing Vapnik SVM (Support Vector Machines) tools, including data preparation, segmentation, time series, and SVM classifiers.
- Microsoft SQL Server 2008, empowers informed decisions with predictive analysis through intuitive data mining, seamlessly integrated within the Microsoft BI platform, and extensible into any application.
- Oracle Data Mining (ODM), provides GUI, PL/SQL-interface, and Java-interface to Attribute Importance, Bayes Classification, Association Rules, Clustering, SVM, and more.
- Salford Systems Data Mining Suite: CART Decision Trees, MARS predictive modeling, automated regression, TreeNet classification and regression, data access, preparation, cleaning and reporting modules, RandomForests predictive modeling, clustering and anomaly detection.
- SAS Enterprise Miner, an integrated suite which provides a user-friendly GUI front-end to the SEMMA (Sample, Explore, Modify, Model, Assess) process.
- SPSSfeaturing Clementine, SPSS and other data mining tools.
- Statistica Data Miner, a comprehensive, integrated statistical data analysis, graphics, data base management, and application development system.
- Teradata Warehouse Miner and Teradata Analytics, providing analytic services for in-place mining on a Teradata DBMS.
- XLMiner, Data Mining Add-In For Excel.
Free and Shareware
- AlphaMiner, open source data mining platform that offers various data mining model building and data cleansing functionality.
- Gnome Data Mining Tools, including apriori, decision trees, and Bayes classifiers.
- IBM Intelligent Miner. University scholars can now receive free copies of DB2 UDB and Intelligent Miner for educational or research purposes.
- KNIME, extensible open source data mining platform implementing the data pipelining paradigm (based on eclipse).
- Machine Learning in Java (MLJ), an open-source suite of Java tools for research in machine learning.
- MLC++, a machine learning library in C++. Kansas State U. port of MLC++: Binary (tar.gz), and Linux source
- Orange, C++ components for data mining,includes preprocessing, modelling and data exploration techniques.
- RapidMiner, a leading open-source system for knowledge discovery and data mining.
- Weka, collection of machine learning algorithms for solving real-world data mining problems. It is written in Java and runs on almost any platform.