A Web service is a software system identified by a URI, whose public interfaces and bindings are defined and described using XML. Its definition can be discovered by other software systems. These systems may then interact with the Web service in a manner prescribed by its definition,using XML based messages conveyed by internet protocols.
A webservice contains:
– Defines the application specific
details for a web service request
• Defines the execution environment for
Web Service application
• Name of the pipeline where this
WEBSERVICE is to be installed
• HFS name of the WS Binding file
• HFS name of the WSDL file
• Run time SOAP message validation
against WSDL schema
Check here for more info.